Tuesday, 31 January 2012
VANDALS SET FIRE TO MARGATE PUBLIC TOILETS
Vandals have set fire to public toilets in
, taking them out of action for at least a week. Margate
A fire was started on Wednesday evening (25 January) in the men’s toilets at
Cecil Square, with one cubicle badly damaged by fire and the toilets badly affected by smoke fumes. It’s thought that the vandals started the fire by setting light to the toilet roll dispenser.
Until the damage can be repaired, the ladies’ toilets are currently acting as a unisex toilet. It’s expected that the men’s toilets will not re-open until, at the earliest, later this week (early February).
Cllr. Alan Poole, Cabinet Member for Commercial Services, said: “It’s very disappointing to see another one of the council’s toilets damaged by vandalism. This year has been an exceptionally bad one for incidents like this, with a number of public toilets across Thanet that have been attacked. Our already thin resources are being stretched even further by mindless vandalism to our public toilets that are there for everyone to use. This has to stop and we would ask people to report anyone causing criminal damage to Kent Police on 01622 690690. Vandalism and repairs should also be reported to the council on 01843 577000.”