Sunday 27 March 2011

Sandys Calls on Government to Investigate Thanet’s High Fuel Prices

In response to the needs of small businesses and motorists across South Thanet, Laura Sandys MP called on the government to investigate the vast discrepancies in fuel prices across the UK. Drivers in Thanet repeatedly report higher than average prices at the pumps. Laura commented: “Every day, I receive letters from disgruntled motorists across South Thanet, Sandwich and the Villages who simply do not understand why local petrol prices are amongst the highest in the country. Of course, prices fluctuate due to international markets and world events, yet it is unfair that prices at the pumps should vary so much nationally. “I would like to encourage constituents to do a Pump Price Watch survey with me and tell me where the highest charges are. I heard from a local business man that he goes to Canterbury to fill up as it is 4p cheaper! “I welcome the Minister for Energy and Climate Change, Charles Hendry’s, encouragement for Thanet’s prices to be investigated. I will be assessing the cost of petrol charged by companies across the local area and will report my findings to the Office of Fair Trading and the Minister.” Despite price discrepancies across the UK, in Wednesday’s budget, the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced a £1.9 billion package to ease the burden on motorists. This package will ensure that petrol is 6p per litre cheaper than it would have been under Labour and should help to ease the high costs facing many motorists. See this on the web at http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=7926 – push the tab to 13 minutes for relevant section The Minister of State, Department of Energy and Climate Change (Charles Hendry): I have received a number of representations on the effect of high oil prices on consumers. The Government are aware of the significant impacts that they are having. That is why the Chancellor has announced a £1.9 billion package to ease the burden on motorists, and why I have asked the Office of Fair Trading to investigate the domestic oil market. Laura Sandys: I join my hon. Friends in commending the Chancellor of the Exchequer's announcement yesterday. Many of my constituents will be very, very pleased about it. However, will the Department, during its investigation of the market, look into the discrepancies between pump prices across the country? I do not understand why the prices in my constituency are among the highest, and I am not sure that my constituents do either. Charles Hendry: The investigation relates chiefly to the domestic oil and gas market, but if there is evidence of unfair and anti-competitive practices in relation to fuel prices on forecourts, I hope that my hon. Friend will write to the OFT, and I should be grateful if she copied me into the correspondence so that I can see the evidence for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive and anonymous derogatory comments about real people will be deleted. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.