Saturday, 25 September 2010


Historic seafront shelters along Ramsgate seafront are set to be restored to their former glory, with help from a charitable organisation.

The council’s Cabinet last night (Thursday 23 September) decided to lease the 14 shelters to the Ramsgate Society, on the basis that it can secure grant funding to completely restore them. The shelters will be leased to the group for 24.5 years and, during this time, they will be responsible for maintaining them.

A total of £1.5 million is available to restore historic buildings along Ramsgate seafront through the Townscape Heritage Initiative Scheme, which is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the council.

The state of the shelters had been highlighted as an issue of concern. The Ramsgate Society, which is a charitable organisation, can be offered a grant of 90% of the total cost of the work, provided that it holds a long lease on the shelters. The council cannot award itself a 90% grant and does not have the money available to undertake the work itself.

Cllr. Roger Latchford, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development, said: “The council is delighted to be working with the Ramsgate Society on this project. We want to see these shelters being brought back into use, but sadly the council just doesn’t have the money available to undertake the work itself. The Ramsgate Society is committed to caring for and maintaining high profile buildings in the town. I can’t think of a better group to look after these historic shelters and ensure they are conserved for future generations.”

Jocelyn McCarthy, Chairman of the Ramsgate Society, said: "I am delighted that the Ramsgate Society can now go forward with plans to restore the promenade shelters of Ramsgate. Thanks to a lease from Thanet District Council and a 90% grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, we have the permission and the promise of finance to undertake this exciting project. Our only task now is to raise the remaining 10% to complete the overall costs. We would welcome support from local people and businesses for our project to restore and maintain these shelters, so that the spectacular views from Ramsgate cliffs can be enjoyed by everyone, even on a rainy day."

You can find out more about the Ramsgate Society at

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive and anonymous derogatory comments about real people will be deleted. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.